*How it works:
1st: All children entering the BOK Ranch program, first pass through the Stable Eq Program. Stable Eq is the prerequisite to the riding lesson program. Click here to learn more about Stable Eq.
All of B.O.K. Ranch’s Full Inclusion Riding Lessons are neurodivergent group lessons. The maximum number of riders in a class is four. During each lesson, riders are taught how to work together as a team with their horse and with their classmates.
EqAbility lessons are maximum support classes for riders who require two side walkers (a person on both the right and left side of the horse) and a horse handler (a person walking at the head of the horse). Riders may need additional help with balance, fine motor skills (holding the reins), and following directions.
BalancedEq lessons are minimum support classes for riders who can control their horse independently under “normal” circumstances. They are assisted in lessons by a spotter or potentially a horse handler who is in place in case of an emergency. BalancedEq riders are usually beginning to trot their horses with assistance.
EqWellness riders are able to groom, saddle, and ride their horses independently. Some EqWellness riders can confidently canter their horses and are beginning to navigate shared arenas. These riders could potentially begin riding at a main stream riding center, however, for the time being may need to take instruction in a more structured and individualized environment.
- All B.O.K. Ranch riders must be able to sit up independently on a horse without any type of head, neck, or back support.
- Riders cannot exhibit any behaviors that would make riding dangerous (i.e., hitting, kicking, biting, screaming).
- All riders must be able to wear an approved riding helmet, during all lessons.
- Riders must weigh under 180 lbs. (with helmet and boots).
- An intake packet including a physician’s release form must be completed before lessons can be scheduled. A physician’s release is required for all riders.
- Rider needs to be seizure free for a minimum of 12 months.
Other health restrictions may apply, please contact the office for additional details regarding health and safety rider requirements.
Enrollment process and associated costs are subject to change with notice.